Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A7's LONG final "non-recipe" recipe.

As I sat last week discussing this project with my group, the topic of technology's advancement and complexity came up, but I didn't really explore it as much as I would have liked. I also posted a reply comment on my last project, with a bit of a rant about technology. First some background info on my "past life" and where this is all coming from.

About 5 years ago, someone looking in from the outside would have thought I had it all. I had graduated top-of-class with a Computer Systems Tech diploma, I ran a computer store, I owned a nice house in Ottawa, I had 3 cars, a $50000/yr full-time job... everything "appeared" on the surface to be going well. Unfortunately, things aren't always as they seem. Despite my high paying job, I was very unhappy. I was working as a PKI systems analyst for Entrust Technologies, assisting in the setup and deployment of the computer security systems for MAJOR companies, including the worlds top banks and firms. The stress this job provided in the 3 years I worked there was enough to last me a lifetime. Money has its perks, but my sanity was much more important. That's why I quit, moved to T.O and started a "new life" as an artist.

Why am I saying all this? Because it's important to understand that my education, knowledge, employment history, and subsequent disdain of technology, has afforded me a unique perspective on how I approach my work, and my use of technology in creating work. There used to be a rule among programmers: KISS (keep it simple, stupid). Programmers used to make software and devices so easy to use, anyone could use it, without needing books or training to do so. That's because back in the day, people were not as exposed to computers. Today, almost every household in Canada has at least one computer, but back then, you were lucky if 10% of households had a computer. So programmers needed to make the technology easy, for example, you press the off button to turn it off. It sounds funny, but think about it... How do you turn off a PC these days? Press the off button? Not a chance! You use the mouse, point to the Start button, select shutdown, click on turn off computer, click ok, wait 5 minutes for it to close everything, and then it shuts off. Ridiculous! Programmers take computer knowledge for granted. The days of KISS programming are long gone.

Anyway, back to the point. The point is I don't think any GOOD solution for amnesics should require "steps" like a recipe. It should be so utterly transparent and simple that ANYONE can use it, or more to the point, not even know they are using it.

So, after coming up with a tool for complex webpage searches, icons to use in a complex blog, and a complex map that uses an iPod, I'm doing a 180, and I'm going to talk about a totally different idea (my alternate idea from the first week). A concept that could be setup in a matter of days (the technology is simple and readily available) and could be helping amnesics by next month... and the best part is, they don't need to learn a single thing (assuming they know how to use a phone).

Enough with the chatter. Here's my non-recipe recipe.

Ingredients:
1 Windows PC to run the IVR
VoiceGuide IVR telephone software (http://www.voiceguide.com)
1 programmer to setup the system
The user's cellphone
The user's computer and calendar software

What is an IVR?
An IVR is an Interactive Voice Response software. Basically, it's the software that controls those fancy telephone menus that say "press 1 for support, press 2 for billing...". IVRs are very complex, and can be setup to read text from a database, make outbound calls, store messages, transfer calls, and more.

How it would work:
The user would simply go about their normal routine. The only thing they need to know is to call the IVR if they need help.

For example, let's say John has an appointment at the dentist at 2pm. At 1:30, John will receive a telephone call. When he answers, he hears the message "You have an appointment at the dentist in 30 minutes. Don't forget to bring your wallet, your health card and your phone. Press 1 if you would like another reminder in 5 minutes, press 2 if you would like directions right now, or press 3 if you would like to hang up". John presses 1, because he is in the middle of lunch. 5 minutes later, his phone rings again. It plays the same message. This time John presses 2. The system then reads off directions to John, instructing him how to make his way to the dentist. So John leaves. On the way, John forgets the directions. He calls the IVR, programmed into his phone on speed dial, and gets the message "Hello John. If you need to leave yourself a reminder, press 1. If you need directions, press 2. If you need a list of appointments for today, press 3.". John presses 2, and hears the directions again to get to the dentist. He makes it to the dentist without a problem. After his appointment, the receptionist tells him he needs to be back for a follow-up in 3 days at noon. John calls the IVR and hears the same message as before, but presses 1 to leave a reminder. He hears a beep and says "Dentist appointment on December 11th at noon". He then makes his way back home.

How it works behind the scenes:
The programming and setup of the IVR would obviously be done by a programmer. It would be setup to link into the database of the user's calendar. That's how the appointments and call times are setup. The entire system is simply managed from the calendar, using a simple tool like iCal or Entourage.

Setting up appointments and maps depends on the individual user's severity of memory loss, and knowledge of the tools. In light cases, the user could likely set up appointments themselves. They simply listen to the memos they left themselves and enter them in the calendar as appointments. For maps, they simply enter the directions from a service like mapquest, or copy the directions from a list of pre-written scripts (for common locations that are travelled often). In more severe cases, someone else would help with the calendar. They would enter the directions and appointments into the calendar. The IVR takes care of the rest.

Why it works:
It works because it's simple. The user doesn't need to know why someone is calling and giving reminders, directions and help... it just does. The user doesn't need to know how to program phone scripts and messages, doesn't need to use complex palm menus and devices, doesn't need to understand technology. They just need to know how to answer a phone, and call a number.

Simplicity works. We should use it more often.

A7

4 Comments:

Blogger Judith Doyle said...

Thanks for the personal story, Andy. I wondered about your past life and where your obvious expertise was rooted. And I must say, I hope we haven't taken advantage of that too much - it's always so easy to turn to you when I wonder how something technical might be best accomplished. Re: simplicity -- I like all your projects so far! I think the cellphone / voice prompt idea is great, very intuitive, a conversational helper. But I also know, these prerecorded personal assistants can become annoying. Sometimes, one doesn't find the options one wants -- not a reason not to do this one. It would be a fantastic application of the system. However, I don't think it's the "final solution". Someone else might prefer an internet-based solution, or graphics, emoticons and stickies. What I've learned from Brian Richards and Robin's experience is that everyone is dynamic, individual, prone to moods and infatuations, attention shifts and drifts... you get my direction here. I guess an ecology of "difference" in computing is never entirely simple, but it can be rich and fruitful.

11:34 AM  
Blogger a7mc said...

Judith, dont worry about asking me tech questions... doesn't bother me at all. I mentioned the story because it's more relevant to how I want to see things to work vs. how they work now.

Regarding the "final solution", I certainly didn't mean to imply that my solution was the end-all be-all of solutions that will save amnesics forever. :) I just meant it was MY final solution being presented. Maybe I should have made that more clear.

We had a decent discussion on this project today, and I find it funny that the comments from class quite litterally prove my point: We take for granted how complex some solutions are. For example, people suggesting using text messaging and pagers. Somehow, I think answering a phone is much simpler than getting a text message, and having to navigate all the menus to get to the message. That's the whole point of using the phone... No matter WHO you are or how old you are, you know how to answer a phone.

Then again, maybe I'm all alone in this "simplicity" theory.

A7

4:56 PM  
Blogger Judith Doyle said...

I was out at Baycrest yesterday, meeting with Dr. Guy Proulx, director of the Psychology Department. He told me about a friend of his who'd made a reminder system for his aging father. Basically, it was a VCR, timer & recorded clips of him speaking to the camera -- "Hi Dad, it's time to take your pills now". This made me think of your project. I think, as we were chatting about in class, that the success of this idea depends on how intimate the voice is - whether you have a trust relationship with this person. It could even be one's self.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Judith Doyle said...

PS. You are not alone in your simplicity theory. The people at Baycrest are all for it! I wonder -- would you be interested in continuing on this project in some way - either as an independent study, or in Publications : Digital? It looks like the research collaboration between Baycrest and OCAD will definitely go ahead.

Let me know. And I look forward to seeing the present Ind. Study site. ; )

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home