Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A7's mapping project

Hi all,

My project consists of a photo work for the iPod. Since I can't quite use the blog to demonstrate what I mean, I have created a video that simulates what it might look like on the iPod. I will also bring the iPod to class for a demo if anyone is interested. Warning! The video is 36MB, so it may be slow loading on some connections. Here is the video: iPod simulation

The idea behind this concept was to use photos on a portable media in a way that simulates a high-tech visual compass. The new color and video iPods have the ability to store slideshows and photos that the user can navigate easily from the iPod. So I set out to create a photo map. My map goes from OCAD to my favorite pizza joint, Pizzaiolo, with a stop at the ATM for money. I took several pictures of the walk from OCAD to Pizzaiolo... about one every 20 feet. So someone could be holding the iPod in front of them to locate themselves (match up the photo to the real life view), and look at the next picture to see where to go next.

The reason I chose this concept was because I enjoy the transient nature of the landscape. What may be a good photo map today, may not be useful next week, as our environment is in continuous change. Nothing is permanent.

A7

2 Comments:

Blogger Judith Doyle said...

excellent work, Andy. I know of a map site that works this way (can't remember the URL, but I'll find out by class time). Re: greybeard's comment - I wonder how the new video iPod's work. Can you listen to your own music files while watching a video like this? Another question - when I showed your clip to Robin, he noted that you skipped the "interface" for the Instant Teller. He was joking, but it's an interesting point. I wonder if instructions could somehow be embedded at certain points so you could pause the clip to get access to information such as passwords or procedures for working a machine, subway fares, etc. Beautiful little zooms! I like the film as a film.

10:19 AM  
Blogger a7mc said...

Thanks for the comments. Let me address some of them...

Regarding the music, keep in mind the video is just a simulation. The actual work is meant to be seen on my iPod. So I can be already listening to music on the iPod, and I can bring up the photos while the song of my choice is playing.

Regarding actually using it in the real world and the pacing of photos, on the iPod they are simply still images. You can press the forward and back button on the iPod to go to the next or previous image. So you basically match up the current photo on the display with the real life version (i.e. stand in the same spot) then hit next and find your way to that spot... and so on.

Regarding video and more (Tara's comments), the brand new iPod video has only come out in the past month or so, and I don't own one, so I'm not sure how it would work with your idea. I think for your proposal, what I found most fascinating was the idea of making the technologies usable. There are a number of recording devices you could use, from cell phones to tiny cameras, to PDAs. There are also a number of video playing devices, such as the new iPod, PDAs, even the portable Playstation. But the key to your project would be to have a device that makes it easy. How hard would it be for someone (let alone an amnesic!) to record with a cell phone, then uploadto a computer, then use software to categorize it, then upload it to a player device, then find it on the device and play it?!?! That's insane. Technology is so complex these days you need a degree in computer science to use it! It seems designers and programmers have long since abandonned the good old fashioned KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Anyway... enough rambling from me. :)

A7

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home