Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Lydia Fahim's Memory Project

A problem that I would like to work with for this assignment is the misplacement of objects, such as glasses, keys and what not. This problem struck out to me the most because not only can I relate to it, but I think everyone in my household can as well. We are always struggling at home, trying to find this person’s keys, their glasses, their cell phone and so on. Everyone at home lacks some memory here and there, some worse than others. Personally, when I forget something, I just try to trace back to where I was possibly with it. But sometimes that is hard, because it turns up in places where you would least expect it, for example, I once forgot the car keys in the car, and looking for it the next day was such a mission, because I had no idea where I left it, and I would never have thought that I would actually forget them in the car, and it was unlike me to do. So looking in the car was not an option for me when I misplaced them, but as I searched everywhere, I suddenly remembered that I did not remember taking them out from the car. I think misplacing objects is so common, and I would love to find a solution that works to resolve this.

Misplacing a cell phone is always the easiest, because you just call it and listen to wear the sound is coming from. With keys, glasses, and papers it is a different story. So I am not quite sure what tools I would want to work with. Usually when I write things down, I tend to remember, even if I don’t go back to the note that I made. So, tools that I would perhaps like to work with for this assignment is basic memo pads, perhaps audio and photographs as well. I would want to have a pad act as a daily activity log, and I was thinking of maybe having audio and photographs going hand and hand. I would have pictures of the objects that are essential in the household, and the audio going along with it, explaining where the objects should be, or possibilities to where they can turn up according to the person’s misplacement habits. I think this would make it easier to trace back to where that object was misplaced.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judith Doyle said...

Misplacing objects is a common problem. Usually when this happens it's stressful, because we're in a hurry and need the keys, cellphone or journal right away. This problem can be more difficult when lots of people live in the home, so there are more objects to be lost and more people to move them around!

I like the idea of working with memo pads and possibly also photos and audio. But what if you lose the memo pads? I think you're right - often we remember something through the act of writing it down. However, this doesn't always work so well with amnesics... Plus, we can end up with so many memos, it's hard to get through them all.

A couple ideas occur to me from what you have written --

1) what if you collaborated with family to create spaces where objects always are put? For example, I have a key basket near the door that we all use to put our keys in. It's taken a lot of time, but months after setting up the key basket, my friends and family know where to put keys or look for them. It almost always works. Think of places and containers for things.

2) what about a memo board that everyone could write on - perhaps even a wall where you stick post-it type notes? Think of ways to make the memos easy to find and share if appropriate.

3) How could photos be used to remember? Where would the photos be put (journals, by the phone, in the car...) Think of useful locations for pictures and audio reminders.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home